Ellesmere Port residents say – NO.
The CW&C planning committee say – NO
A Public Inquiry will resume in Chester Town Hall from the 26thto the 28thFebruary; it deals with a number of firsts.
- First public inquiry in the UK to be held where the planning application has been refused on the grounds of failing to mitigate the effects of climate change – granting the application would fly in the face of all recent climate science which requires us to limit global temperature rise to 1.5 Deg C. Ignoring this could lead to climatic disaster within a couple of decades.
- First gas well sitethat is situated in an urban area – on an industrial estate with a new housing estate under construction only 320m away.
Nearly 1,500 separate objections and a petition of over 1000 signatures were against the proposal.
Public statements from three local MPs, a representative for the Cheshire Crime and Police Commissioner, have supported the groundswell of opposition. Many local residents gave moving accounts of how the existing pollution in Ellesmere Port and surrounding areas has affected their health adversely.
So far the inquiry has unearthed –
- 250,000+ is the estimated policing cost to Cheshire Police if IGas is successful in this appeal.
- 15,000+ is the amount of money raised in crowd funds for FFEP&U to defend the council decision.
- 17,600 is the amount of tonnes of CO2 equivalent emissions the IGas proposal will cause.
- 3,500 is the number of times a car would travel around the worldto expel the same amount of CO2.
- 2 is the number of people who were in favour of the IGas proposals.
- 0 is the number of permanent local jobs likely to be created as a result of the IGas operation.
- 0 is the amount of Climate Change experts provided by IGas to the inquiry.
IGas are looking to sting the Cheshire West & Chester Council for the cost of the inquiry. IGas has to prove to the government appointed planning inspector, that the CW&C planning refusal is unreasonable. Potentially this cost could be considerable and will, without doubt, hit CW&C essential community services hard.
Frack Free Ellesmere Port & Upton will object to this IGas proposal every step of the way.
Crowd funding for the appeal – http://www.gofundme.com/ellesmere-port-appeal-fund